Sunday, 25 January 2026

Adventures in Africa: Stone Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania

I woke up in Stone Town today, and enjoyed navigating the streets in the quiet of the morning before most of my fellow tourists joined me. I did surreptitiously photograph a few locals, who it seemed to me could have belonged to the streets of Stone Town in any of the preceding centuries.


By the way, Stone Town was where Freddie Mercury was born and there is a Freddie Mercury museum in what was his family's home.


Past the Freddie Mercury museum I found my destination, Karafuu Coffee House, on the second floor of a wonderfully restored building. 


I had it to myself when I arrived just after 8:00.


They certainly serve aesthetically pleasing coffee.


After my coffee I walked over to the post office and found the "foreign letters" mail box to drop a postcard in.


Then, I returned to my hotel to eat breakfast and pack, before going out for a final Stone Town walk. 


I imagine you could walk the Stone Town streets for days and consistently find interesting things to look at. For example, these hides appear to be hung to dry!


My walk included another coffee stop, this time at the Zanzibar Coffee House, which is both a hotel and a coffee shop. Again, the aesthetic is great.


The Zanzibar Coffee House has a patio on the roof with great views over Stone Town below.


At 10:15 it was time to head to the airport, so I retrieved my bag from the hotel and walked down to the waterfront to wait for my taxi.

No comments:

Post a Comment